QUESTION PAPER SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS
Please read each of the following instructions carefully before attempting questions.
There are EIGHT questions in all, out of which FIVE are to be attempted.
Question No. 1 and 5 are compulsory. Out of the remaining SIX questions, THREE are to be attempted selecting at least ONE question from each of the two Sections A and B
Attempts of questions shall be counted in sequential order Unless struck off, attempt of a question shall be counted even if attempted partly. Any page or portion of the page left blank in the Question-cum-Answer Booklet must be clearly struck off.
All questions carry equal marks. The number of marks carried by a question/part is indicated against it.
Answers,must be written in ENGLISH only.
Neat sketches may be drawn, wherever required.
1. Write critical notes, within 150 words each, on the following:
(a) Different types of Unconformities (10).
(b) Nappe (10)
(c) Stress ellipsoid and strain ellipsoid (10)
(d) Seismic Zones of India (10)
2. (a) How do the different types of folds assist in revealing the structural history of the region? Discuss, with examples. (20)
(b) Explain the Gravity faults and their types. (10)
(c)Explain the process of epirogenetic movements. (10)
3. (a) Discuss the importance of Stereographic Projections in structural analysis.(20)
(b)Define foliation. How does foliation help to decipher associated major structures? Explain.(20)
4. (a) Explain the Criteria for recognizing faults in field.(20)
(b)What is meant by the term drainage pattern? How is it different from drainage types? Discuss. Illustrate four different patterns of drainage and their significance with respect to geologic structure (s) and/or basal lithology. (20)
5. Write critical notes, within 150 words each, on the following:
(a)Petro fabric analysis as a tool in structural studies.(10)
(b)How does the repetition of beds differ due to folding and faulting?(10)
(c) Mid-oceanic ridges (10)
(d) Cleavage-bedding relationships in folds and its application.(10)
6. (a) What are joints? How do they differ from faults? Give a genetic and geometrical classification of joints. (20)
(b) How do structure, climate, topography and vegetation influence rocks in nature? (20)
7. (a) Explain Radioactivity and age of the earth.(20)
(b) Explain the Relationship between Geomorphology and Hydrogeology.(20)
8. (a) What are hot spots ? Discuss causes and products of volcanoes. (20)
(b)Explain how the Discontinuities in the Earth’s interior have been used in the study of Earth’s interior.(20)
- CrackCivil Services (IAS)2017 Prelims Program:- 10 Civil Services (IAS) Prelims Mock Tests and Comprehensive Civil Services (IAS) Prelims Notes
- CrackCivil Services (IAS)2016 Mains Program :- 16 Civil Services (IAS) Mains Mock Tests and Complete Civil Services (IAS) Mains Notes
- CrackCivil Services (IAS)2016 Video Lecture Program:- Complete video lectures for Civil Services (IAS) Prelims and Mains Exam
- CrackIFos2016 Mains Test series and Notes Program